Sunday, March 29, 2009

"Mystery Portrait"-Imprimatura Stage


I'm making this one a "mystery" portrait. Betcha' can't guess who it is???

I primed canvas with gesso, (that's white acrylic paint), and sanded with 150 grit sandpaper between coats.  When I finished the weave of the canvas was almost completely obsolete  I had a texture that looked and felt very much like an eggshell.  

I drew the figure with a standard ball point/ink-jell pen, (love um'!).  I then primed the canvas with my first layer of oil, heavily diluted with turpentine. The smell is heavy in the room as I type this.  The tone or value of the canvas supposed to be equivalent to a brown paper bag.  I think I'm close on this one.

Next stage...Burnt Umber, (this is my favorite part because the figure takes on a three-dimensional appearance.  Good stuff!

No comments: