Tuesday, June 19, 2007

About...Sardines

Do you like to eat sardines out of the can? I do! They have such a distinctive smell that I can look at this picture and the smell hits me like...BAM! Right in the face!

Sardines were named after the island of Sardinia, where they were once in abundance.

Canned "sardines" in supermarkets may actually be sprats or round herrings. The actual sizes of the fish canned varies by species. Good quality sardines should have the head and gills removed before packing. They may be also eviscerated before packing (typically the larger varieties), or not; if not eviscerated they should be free of undigested or partially digested food or feces (accomplished by holding the live fish in a tank for long enough that their digestive systems empty themselves). They may be packed in oil or some sort of sauce. (From Wikipedia)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Truly, stomach turning. I mean, I like seafood as much as the next guy, but...

Chris said...

Sardines are more like "pond" food.

Anonymous said...

word from the wife....do not eat in an enclosed vehicle while on a road trip

Micah said...

Sardines are actually quite good for you (or so I have read).