Thursday, January 1, 2009

Bruton Parish-Color Stage 1


I have applied the first layer of color.  On this application I actually dip my finger, (rather than a brush) and apply Liquin directly to the canvas.  I rub it on very thinly, covering only the areas I will paint.  I dip my brush (I'm used a soft-sable filbert, #2), into turpentine and apply the paint in thin layers rubbing into until it looks smooth.  Keep in mind, I used just a little bit of paint.  This way of painting reminds me of watercolors as you can still see the underpainting beneath.  If I could not see the underpainting, I would know I'm putting it on too thick.  These early stages require a thin smooth surface as there will be other layers to come.  I save the impasto,  or thick stages for the final sessions.

I did not prime my canvas with Gesso and sand on this painting so I'm finding the paint sinks into the grooves and makes the canvas look dirty, until I smooth it out.  This is a little aggravating.  I make my own canvas' out of 1"x2"'s I picked up at Lowes.  When I prime and sand it leaves a smooth mark where the wood ends beneath the canvas and doesn't look good.  I could by stretcher bars at the local craft store, but I'm cheap!  

I will now need to let this dry thoroughly before I start with the second application.  The colors look nice compared with the grisaille, or greyscale, but they still look faint, like an old-timey tinted photo, but with each stage the colors become more vivid and the details emerge.  

No comments: