Monday, January 12, 2009

Little Cheep-Imprimatura Stage


I attempted to lay down an olive imprimatura.  The acryllic paint dried within just a few minutes and I was not able to smooth it out like oil paint.  

I successfully transferred drawing onto acrylic primed canvas, but I ran into somewhat of a snag with this drawing.  In the last post I mentioned I would paint this picture with acrylic paints rather than oil.  When I transferred the drawing from tracing paper, (I outline the back of the paper with charcoal, tape to the canvas, and then go over the drawing on the front side with ball point pen), I realized the charcoal behaves differently on acrylic.  Although it looked great, I was able to rub it off with my finger!  So I re-outlined the drawing with a red colored pencil, and that is what you see in the above image.  My next step will be to paint with Burnt Umber, (brown).


No comments: