Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Little Cheap-Dead Layer Stage 1



This stage is called the Dead Layer, also known as the Penumbra.  I've included two images to show the process.   As you can see from the image on the bottom, I painted the bird first and then the background.  You can still see bits of the umber layer showing through at his feet, and those bright objects (whatever they are !) in the background. Again, this is somewhat rough at this point, and I hope to refine details on the next stage, but it's coming together, like a paint-by-number.

This color is technically not black and white. I've mixed Mars Black, Phthalo Blue, and a small amount of Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber and Light Yellow, along with white. It is supposed to look like moonlight. I'm pleased with the results, but I'm stessed!  Reason being is the acryllic paint:  I'm not used to paint drying so quick!  I have to move fast,  just to be able to use what I've mixed on my pallette.  

No comments: