Monday, April 27, 2009

David P. Goff- Umber Stage 1

...and we enter into the Third Dimension. I've glazed a thin layer of Burnt Umber into the shadows. Compositionally, I've placed David's head right in the middle of the Golden Ratio. Of all the paintings I've painted so far, I'm most satisfied with how this one has been composed.

I snapped this picture of Dave, (my father-in-law) on a recent hike to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro. The weather had been near perfect! Just as the sun set, a violent storm appeared on the horizon. The sky turned from a Caribbean blue to dramatic red and purple. I said, "quick Dave...smile for the camera!" (I spoke this in Mandarin Chinese, so of course he did not have a clue as to what I said.) He turned and leaned against his walking stick and said, "if you don't put that camera away, I'm going to throw it off the side of the mountain!" At that moment....I took the picture. The rest is history.

(Actually the truth is I took the picture of Dave in the dining room of my home and I Photo-shopped his image onto a picture I swiped from Google Images.)

No comments: