Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mystery Portrait-Color Stage 7

I glazed another mixture of raw sienna, raw umber, burnt umber, and titanium white over the entire face.  I then applied yellow ochre onto forehead, vermilion red onto face and ultramarine blue onto neck.  This is the old master's trick called color banding.  I blended these colors well.  I then added Naples Yellow Deep into highlights, blended and then I broke out the Naples Yellow Light and blended into highlights.  

I glazed blues, and yellows into the background.  It's a little too light at this stage, I'd like to tone it down a bit and make it more interesting, but I'm not sure how.

1 comment:

My Painting Studio said...

It's tough to see on the computer screen but keep in mind that highlight areas are cooler than warmer light....and that warm light flows into a cooler halftone.

Temperature in portraiture is almost more important than color.