Friday, April 3, 2009

Mystery Portrait-Color Stage 1


Don't get excited!  I'm not going Andy Worhal.  I have applied my first bit of color to this mystery gentleman.  I painted raw sienna onto his face and wiped out the highlights with a brush damped with turpentine.  I then smoothed it back out with a really soft sable brush.  I also glazed vermillion red onto his jacket and tie.  If you remember the underpainting had a greenish tint, (verdaccio), so when I glazed the complimentary ( or opposite color of the spectrum), it nutralized that green and turned it grey.  The dramatic yellow background will soon be covered.  I chose such a brilliant color because it's very reflective.  When light travels through those additional layers and bounces off the yellow, even the black areas will sparkle!  I'm hoping it will be ginchy!

No comments: