Saturday, April 19, 2008

Jumping Youngs-Drawing Cont.


Hurry Up and Wait!
While waiting to buy Gesso in order to prime my canvas I mapped out the tone/value ranges on my grayscale prints. The final painting will be a composite of these three pictures.
What's the Funny Lines For?
In the one example I've showed the brighest areas in circles, the mid-range (.65 on a grayscale) in squares, and the darkest areas using blue lines. The handy-dandy grayscale thingy I printed off the internet. Oh my, the things you can find on the world wide web! Mapping out these tonal ranges will help to give me an accurate representation on the canvas. Once I prime the canvas I can put a little spot of paint in these areas and have a good guide to know my value/tone limits. I used a tool called "Gimp" program to identify the brighest spot on the picture. I lowered the light level until all I could see was the bright spots on his shirt. Of course the dark was easy to identify with the naked eye, but finding the mid-range I had to to use the grayscale tool. Being able to indentify the brightest spot, the darkest spot and the mid-point tonal ranges is what I'm trying to do. It's a objective/scientific process. This is the "secret" to creating a classical/photorealistic painting using colors out of a tube applied by a brush made of hog hairs.
Click images to enlarge.

No comments: